This one was a speed demon for me. I started this piece on Wednesday and finished on Sunday. I have no idea what got into me to finish this fast. Massive amounts of caffeine?
As the thread size diminished, I also had to reduce the pin diameters, otherwise I'd be left with gaping holes. The cotton piece was worked up using Dritz's #16900 Satin pins (no marked diameter). I needed something finer when I moved onto the linen thread. I purchased some Dritz #33 Bridal and Lace pins, diameter 0.5mm.
When it came to the silk thread, I needed to get creative. While browsing Van Scivers lace supply site (http://www.vansciverbobbinlace.com), I stumbled on a listing of insect mounting pins in various sizes. Cool!
I decided to give them a try and ordered SEOH insect entomology pins in size 00, 0.3mm diameter. Super tiny in person. And they worked a treat!
When it came off the pillow I was pleased to see tight picots and no missed windmills. I am progressing.
Next up: metallic threads. *gulp*
I understand the foil twist can be hard to work with.
Welcome to the SCA blog of Lady Jane Caldwell. Lady Jane plays in 1534 and is interested in early period lace. Lady Jane hails from the Barony of Skraeling Althing in Ealdormere. Lady Jane is also a clothes whore who will wear clothing from multiple periods to either feel pretty or feel comfortable.