So, I'm clearly missing some construction photos here, but the wooden base needed to be covered with foam (traditionally stuffed with straw) and carved down on a slope. Here you can see me test fitting some craft foam pieces to my board. My local craft store didn't have anything thicker than 1/4" foam in 8x11 sheets, so I had a lot of cutting and gluing to do. I glued everything down at full height and opted to carve my slope afterwards.
You may notice from the photo above that the white foam (I bought them out of the black) carved differently than the black foam. They didn't appear to be different densities, or anything that would have made one stand out from the other, apart from colour. But while the black foam carved out well (with a serrated blade), the white just tore and chunked out. I knew I would have to cover the foam anyway, but it became less about cosmetics and more about smoothing out the lines. I did this with felt sheets and hot glue (I tried at first to tack down the felt and sew the edges, but it made a hot mess. I covered the first extra ugly sewn/tacked layer with a second hot glued layer. You can get an idea of what it looked like in this picture:
In this shot I was test fitting the roller insert made of wool fabric (the next big step in the process). As you can see, this is where the gluing/measurement error bit me in the ass - my fabric on the roller was initially cut too wide and I was left with a sizeable gap between the roller and base.
Cosmetically, and for ease of cleaning, I made a canvas slip cover for the base (I have two cats and their fur gets everywhere, so I wanted something I could easily wash. I drafted a pattern on the canvas by mapping out the curves of the back piece as it met the top of the pillow - once that was sewn, I would pin around the front of the pillow as it met the base as a guideline of where to sew when i flipped the good side inside out. Did I mention I started this project because I can't sew? That this was a thank you to someone who could sew, who took pity on me and kept me from showing up naked at events?
This grand plan, of course, did not work. I couldn't match the curves tightly enough for my liking. So inside of a neat seam inside the cover, I started to whip stitch the corners from the outside.
While I worked on the slipcover, I traded off and on to another sewing part of the pillow project: the roller. Basically the roller is made up of wool fabric wrapped tightly around a dowel. I cut 6" wide strips from 1m of butt-ugly but pure wool fabric. These strips got sewn together to make one continuous piece - I even used the scrap edge which was less than 6" wide but could be chunked down into small pieces each 6" across.
I encountered a couple of sizing problems thanks to my gluing mistake earlier. My fabric strip proved to be too wide and had to be cut down. in the first picture above, I pinned the strip to the down to see how much needed to be removed from either side. Once the strip was slimmed down, I rolled the bundle up to do a test fit for depth. The roller had too much fabric on to properly sit in the cradle. I removed a small section of fabric at first (I chose the short scrappy pieces that were at the centre of the roll) and test fit the bundle again. Once I found a balance of fabric to fit, I felt confident in tacking the strip permanently to the dowel.
Welcome to the SCA blog of Lady Jane Caldwell. Lady Jane plays in 1534 and is interested in early period lace. Lady Jane hails from the Barony of Skraeling Althing in Ealdormere. Lady Jane is also a clothes whore who will wear clothing from multiple periods to either feel pretty or feel comfortable.