Note: This post originally appeared in September, 2015. This post serves to replace the missing entry. No content has been modified from the original positing to now - AR/JC 2016/10/30
For the linen piece, I attempted all three picot styles used so far, for comparison. My hope was that after practice, the twisted picot might come together more cleanly. I was to be disappointed. I didn’t take any in-progress shots of this piece. Below is the linen sample, sandwiched between the two cotton pieces, with the picot styles used aligned with each other.
Note: This post originally appeared in September, 2015. I'm backfilling missing posts from mu hard copy project documentation. The content of the post has not been altered from the original. - AR/JC
Separating the first section from the next to delineate where I start to experiment
I did a little thread diagram to try and show what I was attempting. I had no historical evidence to back up this choice – I just wanted to see if the end result would look better. I sent a copy of this to the local lacemaking laurel, whose brain I was picking, to get her thoughts. Answer I got back was to try it. ‘Just play’.
Things I don’t like about this picot style: leaving the inner bobbin pair alone, while the outer pair twists around the pin leaves an unsightly gap when the pins are removed.
I decided to re-run the cotton piece using demonstrating with the double picot style I used exclusively on pattern 1. I also threw in a simple loop picot to experiment, to see if I liked the difference.
Note: This post originally appeared in September, 2015. Several posts went missing, so I am back filling the content based on a backup of the text. No content has been altered in the replacement postings.
Pattern 2, a simple edging, is interesting. The full woodcut gives the worker two options:a teardrop with two picots on top, and a teardrop with three. I chose to work the three picoted teardrop for my pieces. A design this small would likely be used on a coif or simple cuff, made in linen or silk.
I am hoping this pattern works up quickly, so I can regain time lost waiting on the delivery of the gilt thread. I feel the pressure of slipping time ever more keenly. My original plan was to have the five samples completed by Christmas. It is clear to me that I will not meet that goal.
On to the lace discussion!
On the first part of the teardrop shape, I completed the windmill crossing then sent bobbins around the top curve and used the others to create the picot followed by the bottom leg. In this shot, I am lining up the mirror reverse. Bottom leg up, picot, followed by windmill joining the upper curve with the rest of the bobbins. It looks a little janky. I’m also trying a new picot style on this piece – placing he picot pin in the middle of the four bobbins, and twisting the outer pair until it wraps around the pin to meet up with its brothers.
The curve almost juts inward and the two picots don’t line up. I hate the way it looks, so I’ll be playing with the positioning.
Welcome to the SCA blog of Lady Jane Caldwell. Lady Jane plays in 1534 and is interested in early period lace. Lady Jane hails from the Barony of Skraeling Althing in Ealdormere. Lady Jane is also a clothes whore who will wear clothing from multiple periods to either feel pretty or feel comfortable.