The roller pillow was christened with a practice cotton piece. It's been two years since I've touched lace, and I wanted to work some of the kinks out in my technique on cheap thread first before moving on to the nicer fibers.
Using a piece of the canibalized 'horror kit' foam, I prepared a pricking. Using a tip from the nearby lace laurel, instead of transferring the pattern on to card stock, I printed the pattern onto normal printer paper and covered the printing with scotch tape. I eased the pricker into the paper, careful not to punch at an angle - beeswax was used on the needle to help the process.
The next step was to mount my pricking onto the roller pillow and hang my bobbins in pairs.
This type of lace involves mostly plaiting which can be quick to work up - that being said, it took me three evenings to make 3.5 inches. I am slow. I hope to pick up some speed when I reproduce this pattern in linen thread.
So, looking at the picture you can see some decorative loops on the lace. These are called picots. When working with thin thread (which I will be) it is recommended that you use a double picot.
Double picots look like this:
The idea is to twist the thread before and after placing the pin (with a little thread manipulation around the pin in between). When you tighten your pair after, the twist is supposed to travel up and around the pin making a nice stiff picot. When the twist doesn't travel around the pin you are left with two floppy and seperate loops when the pin is removed.
I had a whole lot of floppy ears.
Clearly I needed picot practice.
It's not the best shot, but above on the left hand side you can see a picot that didn't successfully twist. On the right, you can see that the twist made it around the pin.
Now that I've played with picots, I think it's time to move on to linen thread. I will be using the same pattern but scaled down to account to the change in thread size.
The roller was also in need of a slip cover. I needed a cord to act as a drawstring, so I used my lucet to whip up two quick cords. Read more about lucetting here and here. The slip cover was sewn as a tube with channels for the drawstrings on the inside. I sewed the drawstring in as I went, rather than try to thread it in after the fact.
The result: one spiffy looking slip cover.
With the big slipcover (mostly) finished (I still need to sew on some velcro to hold down the opening flap), I decided that I was mostly ready to start making lace.
*side note* I'll cover in another post, but I made an attempt to make a bolster style pillow as well - unfortunately it didn't work out to the point where it could functional.y make lace.
Before I started pricking my pattern, I decided to use up some of the scrap wool fabric and make a pin cushion from the wool and a clean mini cat food can (Reduce, Reuse, Recycle friends)
So, I'm clearly missing some construction photos here, but the wooden base needed to be covered with foam (traditionally stuffed with straw) and carved down on a slope. Here you can see me test fitting some craft foam pieces to my board. My local craft store didn't have anything thicker than 1/4" foam in 8x11 sheets, so I had a lot of cutting and gluing to do. I glued everything down at full height and opted to carve my slope afterwards.
Welcome to the SCA blog of Lady Jane Caldwell. Lady Jane plays in 1534 and is interested in early period lace. Lady Jane hails from the Barony of Skraeling Althing in Ealdormere. Lady Jane is also a clothes whore who will wear clothing from multiple periods to either feel pretty or feel comfortable.